After watching the video, read through the information provided below. This will help you to better understand not only what perseverance means, but what it looks like lived out in your life on a daily basis. Make sure to take some time to write down your own explanation of what Living with Perseverance as a Disciple of Christ looks like, as well as some specific examples.
Dictionary definition of Perseverance:
- A steady persistence in a course of action, a purpose, a state, etc., especially in spite of difficulties, obstacles, or discouragement.
- Steadfastness, Persistence, Endurance, Stamina, Tenacity, Determination, and Dedication are all synonyms of Perseverance.
Verses to Read:
- James 1:2-4
- James 1:22-25
- 1 Corinthians 15:58
- 1 Corinthians 16:13
- Acts 11:23
- 1 Timothy 6:11
- Psalm 68:35
- 1 Peter 5:6-10
Questions to Consider:
- What word(s) or ideas stand out to you from each of those verses? Why?
- If you were to write down an explanation of Living with Perseverance as a Disciple of Christ, based on the verses you just read, what would your explanation be? Take some time and write it out…
- Try to come up with at least a couple specific examples of what Living with Perseverance looks like in your life. Write them down…
- Thinking through all of the information provided (verses, definition, synonyms, Pastor Aaron’s video), what would you say is the hardest part about living with perseverance in your faith? What would you say is the easiest part?
*Just a quick note to anyone who comes across this blog/lesson…even if you are not a student in the Student Ministry, or even a student at all, I would encourage you to take time to consider what is shared above. We all need continual reminders of what it means to Live with Perseverance as a Disciples of Christ in this world, because it’s not easy. Thus the reason we have to continue to seek and learn more how to persevere, as well as to rely more and more on God’s grace and strength through it all.*